Yes, it is that time again! Mitochondrial Disease Awareness Week runs from today (September 18th) to Saturday, September 24th. A whole seven days to get the word out about a little-known neuromuscular disorder that involves dysfunction of mitochondria, aka the powerhouse of the cell. People with mitochondrial disease (such as myself) experience a wide range of symptoms across many syndromes, including muscle weakness, deafness, cardiomyopathy and mental disabilities.
Events are being held around the world, and everyone is encouraged to participate - some ideas can be found here, & here. Or join a support group to get more involved with people affected my "mito" - there are many chat groups on Facebook, for example.
Looking for a mitochondrial disease organization in your country? Check these groups out around the world:
- Canada - MitoCanada
- United States - MitoAction, United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation
- Netherlands - Dutch Mitochondrial Disease Awareness Week
- Australia - Australian Mitochondrial Disease Foundation
- New Zealand - New Zealand Mitochondrial Disease Foundation
- United Kingdom - Children's Mitochondrial Disease Network
I will be tweeting awareness all week, using the hashtag #MitoAwarenessWeek. Please take a few minutes to read and share information about mitochondrial disease!